|Biography and Scientific Interests||
Our research interests are in three main areas:
1. Synthesis of organosulfur donors including chiral ones for organic electronics. Preparation and properties of radical cation salts.
2. Study of molecular interactions and different stages of bond formation by X-ray crystallography, with extension to charge density analysis.
3. Development of new anti-metastatic agents in collaboration with the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre, NTU.
We are also interested in synthetic heterocyclic chemistry in general.
Prof. Wallis did his D.Phil with Dr Morrin Acheson in Oxford, and had postdoctoral periods with Prof. Sir Jack Baldwin FRS and Prof. Jack Dunitz FRS. He taught at the University of Kent, before moving to a chair at Nottingham Trent University.
139. G. Saritemur, L. Nomen Miralles, D. Husson, M.B. Pitak, S.J. Coles, J.D. Wallis, “Two Modes of Peri-Interaction Between an Aldehyde Group and a Carboxylate Anion in Naphthalaldehydate Salts”, CrystEngComm, 2016, 18, 948 – 961, DOI: 10.1039/c5ce02282g.
140. A.Wannebroucq, A.P. Jarmyn, M.B. Pitak, S.J. Coles, J.D. Wallis, “Reactions and Interactions Between Peri-Groups in 1-Dimethylamino-naphthalene Salts: an Example of a “Through Space” Amide.” Pure Appl. Chem. 2016, 88, 317-331.
141. R. Gumbau-Brisa, J.J. Hayward, J.D. Wallis, J.M. Rawson, M. Pilkington, “Structural Insights into the Coordination Chemistry and Reactivity of a 3,3′-Bis-imine-2,2′-bipyridine Ligand”, CrystEngComm, 2016, 18, 1892-1903, DOI: 10.1039/ C5CEO2349A, results displayed on inside cover.
142. J.R. Lopez, L. Martin, J.D. Wallis, H. Akutsu, Y. Nakazawa, J.-I. Yamada, T. Kadoya, S.J. Coles, C. Wilson, “Enantiopure and racemic radical-cation salts of B(malate)2− anions with BEDT-TTF”, Dalton Trans, 2016, 45, 9285-9293; DOI:10.1039/ C6DT01038E.
143. Q. Wang, L. Martin, A.J. Blake, P. Day, H. Akutsu, J. D. Wallis, “Coordination Chemistry of 2,2’-Bipyridyl- and 2,2’:6’,2”-Terpyridyl-Substituted BEDT-TTFs: Formation of a Supramolecular Capsule Motif by the Iron(II) Tris Complex of 2,2’-Bipyridine-4-thiomethyl-BEDT-TTF”, Inorg. Chem., 2016, 55, 8543-8551; dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.inorgchem.6b01101.
144. L. Martin, J.D. Wallis, M. Guziak, F. Konalian-Kempf, A Christian, S.’I. Nakatsuji, J.’I. Yamada, H. Akutsu, “Enantiopure and Racemic Radical-cation Salts of Bis(2′-hydroxylpropylthio)(ethylenedithio)TTF with Polyiodide Anions,” Dalton Trans, 2017, 46, 4225-4234; DOI: 10.1039/C6DT04645B.
145. J.R. Lopez, L. Martin, J.D. Wallis, H. Akutsu, J.-i. Yamada, S.-i. Nakatsuji, C. Wilson, J. Christensen, S.J. Coles, “New semiconducting radical-cation salts of chiral bis(2-hydroxylpropylthio)ethylenedithio TTF”, CrystEngComm, 2017, online; DOI: 10.1039/C7CE01014A.